Prithvi

average velocity in pipe flow

hello sir, I am solving turbulent flow in a rectangular manifold. my question is in inlet boundary condition i want give velocity as input condition.  since my diameter is 1.7 cm I assigned a value of 0.5 m/sec in my z direction. Now i find a tab for average velocity when i opt my turbulence type for intensity and length scale. my question is how much should my value be in average velocity ??? Should my z-direction velocity be equal to the average velocity or something else. Can anyone explain me the concept behind this 

AcuConsole requires various inputs in order to automatically compute the turbulence parameters.  One of those inputs is a velocity scale.  So, the velocity that you enter is the one that is used as the velocity scale.  For the case of a simple, constant velocity inlet, the velocity scale should be equal to the average velocity at the inlet.

Here is a good reference:  http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/Turbulence_free-stream_boundary_conditions

thanks a lot for the right information. also, my doubt is regarding the BC at inflow. The velocity which we specify in x,y,z direction, is it called the total velocity i.e u = u avg +fluc.vel

where U = sqrt(ux2+uy2+uz2). So i should specifu velocities in coordinate axis and average velocity U is derived from the above formula.

My question is I should get U average as output. so in order to get that as output what should I follow. 

Also should my turbulence scale and velocity scale be equal..