Jump to content
Alberto.Zapolla

Element Quality Check 3D

Recommended Posts

I have a question: i'm working with an aerodynamic device with a truss structure with a 3D mesh. After the mesh generation  i checked it on the quality index and i didn't find any errors. But the simulation crashes for the element quality check on one tetra element.

Can you help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

anything on the .out log which says sth. like Element ID ## failed ?

You can also check the quality settings via the quality check pannel (hit F10). If you see nothing faild there, I don't know what else could be the problem. If you have connectors or 1D elements, also check in this pannel for connectivity, duplicates etc.

Best regards,

Merula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quality Index is used to check quality of 2d elements and not 3d elements like tetra,

You will have to use check elements (F10), especially tet collapse, and then save failed elements > mask > saved > reverse to see the tetra that fails and rectify it. 

You can use edit element, replace node etc to improve its quality, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok i see with check elements that the mesh is very bad. But i have this problem: the component is wide more than 1 m, but the struss structure has a thickness of 0.7 mm. So i can't do a mesh with element size too big, but if i do a mesh with element size too small the program crashes. What can i do?

 

I share with you the piece.Immagine.thumb.png.5f4e033ac0b440d566949

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Hi Alberto,

 

You can use a combination of 2D and 3D elements. 

 

In order to satisfy the DoFs between shell and solid, create a layer of skin elements on solid element with as minimum thickness as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Hi @Ganesh Patil

 

In order to transfer moments a layer of skin elements on solid is a good idea. Since solid elements have only 3Dofs, have a layer of skin on top of solid elements and connect the other shells with rigids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2016 at 9:20 AM, Prakash Pagadala said:

Hi Alberto,

 

You can use a combination of 2D and 3D elements. 

 

In order to satisfy the DoFs between shell and solid, create a layer of skin elements on solid element with as minimum thickness as possible.

@Prakash Pagadala Do we need to create skin elements for the case of 2d to 2d T connection? And also, are they required when a 2D plate is parallel to the solid surface? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Hi Amar,

 

No you don't need skin elements for 2D to 2D connections. You can either do a nodal connectivity or use RBEs

 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:19 PM, Amar17 said:

And also, are they required when a 2D plate is parallel to the solid surface?

Can you share an image? You can also have freeze contact between 2D and 3D mesh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 9:15 AM, Prakash Pagadala said:

Hi Amar,

 

No you don't need skin elements for 2D to 2D connections. You can either do a nodal connectivity or use RBEs

 

Can you share an image? You can also have freeze contact between 2D and 3D mesh. 

Thank you Prakash sir,

I have shared two illustrative images of my question. Please tell me if I am correct- "For 2D-2D T-connection I need to get all the nodes connected at the joint".

Also, which type of RBEs are used for such connections in explicit analysis (Radioss 12.0)? 

plateParallelToSolidSurface1.JPG

plateParallelToSolidSurface2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 1:56 AM, Amar17 said:

Thank you Prakash sir,

I have shared two illustrative images of my question. Please tell me if I am correct- "For 2D-2D T-connection I need to get all the nodes connected at the joint".

Also, which type of RBEs are used for such connections in explicit analysis (Radioss 12.0)? 

plateParallelToSolidSurface1.JPG

plateParallelToSolidSurface2.JPG

 

@Prakash Pagadala Sir, please tell me what to for 2D to 3D mesh connection in cases as illustrated in aforementioned images. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...