Sign in to follow this  
Smoparthy

How to change thickness of a 3D Mesh?

Hi All,

I have a 3D mesh composed of hex elements of a component that looks like a human rib.  How can I change the thickness of this 3D mesh in an effecient way?  For example, if want the increased the thickness of this component by 10%, what are some to accomplish this? This mesh does not have any surfaces associated with it.  

So far, I have been translating the nodes of the 3D face elements along a vector to increase the thickness and I am curious if there is a better way.  Any help will be appreciated!

Cheeres,

Sriram 

Sriram,

Goto Tool page>> HyperMorph to access HyperMorph.

There are tutorials available on help for HyperMorph.

On 3/29/2016 at 4:36 AM, Smoparthy said:

Hi All,

I have a 3D mesh composed of hex elements of a component that looks like a human rib.  How can I change the thickness of this 3D mesh in an effecient way?  For example, if want the increased the thickness of this component by 10%, what are some to accomplish this? This mesh does not have any surfaces associated with it.  

So far, I have been translating the nodes of the 3D face elements along a vector to increase the thickness and I am curious if there is a better way.  Any help will be appreciated!

Cheeres,

Sriram 

Could you share a simple model?

Hi, you can use scale (panel tool>scale) in normal direction of rib, (set scale factor of that direction is 1.01 mean 10%thicker, other factor keep 1.0)

but be sure that normal direction is same as x y z direction of global or created local system

Using Hypermorph is OK also