marioke

Orthotrophic composite plate with different heights left and right

Hi there,

my problem is as followes: i built up a squarish composite plate (carbon) with orthotropic material property. I edited the laminate with "symmetric" option to realize the orthotropic

material behave. Now my problem is that I want to check the material behave varying ply direction and ply thickness. So the plate should obtain 10 mm height on the left edge and 9 mm on the right edge to simulate an angular load initiation, Now the symmetric laminate option causes a result which I dont want to realize (see attachment). Can you tell me how to realize that? Maybe with shell to solid conversion (how do i get there?)? 

Regards

laminate.png

It maybe an issue of visualization.

I dont think there is an option to give dropoff. Share your model. I will see how I can help you with that.

4 hours ago, Prakash Pagadala said:

It maybe an issue of visualization.

I dont think there is an option to give dropoff. Share your model. I will see how I can help you with that.

i shared the model in your Dropbox. Thanks alot!

Hi,

In order to have a smoother visualization, you need to have a smoother transition by dividing the length into several more segments (like 10, 9.9, 9.8, etc...).

What you have is an averaged approximation.

6 hours ago, Prakash Pagadala said:

Hi,

In order to have a smoother visualization, you need to have a smoother transition by dividing the length into several more segments (like 10, 9.9, 9.8, etc...).

What you have is an averaged approximation.

Hi,

that means that I have to define a ply for every "row" of elements in my plate?

Yes,

also, plan your modeling. I can see that you have a symmetric laminate. Instead of modeling all plies, you can model half and use symmetric laminate option.

anyways I think its more a visualization problem.

1 hour ago, Prakash Pagadala said:

Yes,

also, plan your modeling. I can see that you have a symmetric laminate. Instead of modeling all plies, you can model half and use symmetric laminate option.

anyways I think its more a visualization problem.

Prakash,

i didn't model all plies, I modeled as you said. Creating 5 plies leads to 10 plies because of symmetric option. But my problem could not be solved by dividing the length 

of my plies in more segments.