I know how to define an output block to get the internal strain energy per unit volume within HyperWorks, and how to define custom objective function equations using the dequation button, but can't seem to call the internal strain energy, since I can't figure out how to define it as a response in HyperMesh. Is this feature supported in HyperMesh?

Compliance is a measure of strain energy, and for static structural problems, they are equivalent, but when accounting for thermal stresses from temperature change, most of the literature suggests that compliance does a poor job of representing the energy stored within the structure.

12 hours ago, 8bt39 said:

but when accounting for thermal stresses from temperature change, most of the literature suggests that compliance does a poor job of representing the energy stored within the structure.

@8bt39

Okay, I will check if there is any workaround to incorporate strain energy as a response.