Sign in to follow this  
rdam

Quad meshing of a femur 3-D model

Hi there,

I am working on a project and my goal is to assign patient-specific bone material properties to a 3-D model created from a set of CT-scans. To do so, I have a segmented 3-D model of the femur resurfaced using solidworks. I have another software called BoneMat that assign the material properties to the bone using the CT-scans as well. But in order to do so, I have to import the bone model as a meshed neutral file (*.ntr). It is my first experience with finite element modelling, and I was wondering if anyone could help in how to mesh my already segmented 3-D model (saved as a .igs that I can import in HyperMesh) and I want to be able to create that (.*ntr) file using this software.

Thank you for your help

Hi,

i don't know the *.ntr format and i don't know if it is supported by Hyperworks.

IGES files you can importing and meshing in any case. But the reference to the right material properties is still a task.

Which preference (solver) do you want to use to solve anything and which material do you use inside the preference?

Regards,

Mario

In that case, do you know how can I output a neutral file using HyperMesh? because when I try to export in ASCII format, it says connectors have not been selected even after I mesh my file!

Thank you again for your help

Hi everyone,

I am looking on how to get a Patran Neutral File using Hypermesh. I have the trial version of Hypermesh, could you please confirm that it is not because of a limitation in the version that I cannot find a way to get that neutral file?

Thank you

Hi rdam,

I can not found Patran Neutral File in supported format of Hypermesh version 12.0.

Maybe you have to try with another format.

I figured out how to get the Neutral file. Thank you for your help.

I have another question,

How can I create HEX elements using HyperMesh? I am trying to mesh a femur!

Thank you

Hi rdam,

I have just started working in the FEA area, and I am trying to create a suitable mesh for a lumbar vertebra (L4) and in the end the L4-L5 motion segment (i.e. L4-intervertebral disc - L5).

For this, I have created a 3D cad object from CT data and imported it as an iges file into hypermesh, where I surpressed all edges but one, and used automesh (only trias) to create a new 2D mesh.

However, I want to have different element sizes for different parts due to computational efficiency that have the same element density where they 'meet'  , any ideas on how to achieve this?

Also, how do you mesh the difference between cortical and trabecular bone?

Thanks in advance!