Sign in to follow this  
yao

Previous run solution as initial condition for restart

If I want to use the solution from a previous run as my initial condition for a restart, do I need to remove the NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION command from my input file when restarting?

The RESTART command simply reads the input data from a previous run (the last run by default unless a different run is specified). Any command appearing after the RESTART command will be processed and overwrite the settings from the previous run. NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION, however, does have special behavior....when the RESTART command is processed, it automatically uses the data from the previous run. So, here are some scenarios to illustrate RESTART and NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION. Consider the following input files for the restart run:

This will pull the previous run's data for the initial conditions:

RESTART {}

RUN{}

This will also pull the previous run's data for the initial conditions because the RESTART comes after the NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION command (i.e. the restart data overwrites the NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION data):

NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION(velocity){

variable = velocity

values = {1,0,0}

}

RESTART {}

RUN{}

This will OVERWRITE the previous run's data for the initial conditions with 1,0,0 because NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION comes after RESTART:

RESTART{}

NODAL_INITIAL_CONDITION(velocity){

variable = velocity

values = {1,0,0}

}

RUN{}