I'm a relatively new user of Hypermesh v12.0 and have run into an issue when trying to use the 2D Automesh on a particular geometry.

I am meshing an elliptical cylinder with interior stiffeners, i.e., frames, intercostals, etc. that are bolted together.  I am modeling the vessel with 2D, first order elements and am modeling all fasteners and fastener holes.

The problem that I run into is that the 2D automesher (including midsurface mesher) performs one of three operations:

1. Failed surface mesh
  2. Meshes only around the holes (this is when I specify washers in the parameter/criteria files)
  3. Meshes over holes/cutouts that are below a certain diameter

I've reworked and modified all parameters and criteria that I feel are relevant and even those that I feel are irrelevant.  Further, when I perform topological cleanup and have the preprocessor locate and tag holes, it tags all holes except for those above a certain diameter (so Hypermesh is treating the larger and smaller cutouts differently).  No matter what, I cannot mesh this structure and the direction that I feel I am taking now is non-intuitive and quite frankly arbitrary.

Any guidance would be appreciated.