rjromijnders

RADIOSS All strains are 0.000e+00 whilst I have stresses

Hi there,

currently I am running explicit FE simulations with Radioss Block.

The simulations are setup using a "master" file, that calls a number of input files.

The input files comprise sub-assemblies of the total model.

Now, in my results I am able to make a contour plot of the (Von Mises) stresses. Maximum Von Mises stress is 275 MPa.

The animation files show indeed excessive deformation of the component in a specific include, which is expected.

However, when trying to plot the strains, it seems results remain 0.000e+00 for the entire simulation time for this component.

I am able to view both stresses and strains on the other components.

In my engine file I do request to output the strain tensor:

#-----------------------------------
# Animation file control
#-----------------------------------
/ANIM/DT  
0.000000e+000 1

/ANIM/SHELL/TENS/STRESS/ALL
/ANIM/SHELL/TENS/STRAIN/ALL

Could it be an issue on the material or property card?

#---1----|----2----|----3----|----4----|----5----|----6----|----7----|----8----|----9----|---10----|
/MAT/PLAS_JOHNS/14
material_name                                                                                
#          RHO_I
2.800000E-06                 0.0

#                  E                  Nu     Iflag

70.0                 0.3

#                  a                    b                    n           EPS_p_max            SIG_max0

0.2                 0.3                 0.5                          0.0                   0.275

#                  c   EPS_DOT_0     ICC   Fsmooth               F_cut               Chard

0.0                 0.0         0                0                   0.0                    0.0

#                  m              T_melt              rhoC_p                 T_r

0.0                    0.0                     0.0                  0.0

Is anyone aware of the possibility to loose the strain for plotting purposes, whilst the stresses are still present?

Hi,

Strain tensor is output only if Istrain =1 in shell property (/PROP/TYPE1, /PROP/TYPE10, /PROP/TYPE11, /PROP/TYPE16 and /PROP/TYPE17), except for material laws 15, 19.

Please try with this option.

Excuse me for the late feedback.

Indeed, I can plot strains now on my component. thanks! :)

On the property card the value Istrain = 0 (such that it was looked up on the /DEF_SHELL card).

On the /DEF_SHELL Istrain = 0 (such that it would take the default value, i.e. Istrain = 2: no)

Istrain: Compute strains for post-processing flag

(Integer)

= 0: default, set to 2

= 1: yes

= 2: no

I have changed the parameter to Istrain = 1; for both the PROP card and the /DEF_SHELL

Thanks for the reply!