Sign in to follow this  
Ushay

Not done Mid-Surface mesh-add thickness to the elements

Hi,

I did shell mesh by extracting the elements from Tet mesh. Technically they should be connected, just for ex: a cover(shell mesh) on a solid part(Tet mesh). So here I did not extract any mid surface. How should I add thickness here? I am sure mid surface thickness is not going to work. I tried with Mid-mesh thickness as well, it di not work. Could anyone please suggest

I am sorry Tinh, I will redefine my question. I had a component(A) which was already meshed with tetra elements. In order to model a cover(B) for A, I extracted the faces and gave the offset value for the mesh(which is R-tria mesh), which is now separated from B . Now I need to assign thickness for this Tria elements (A) so that it doesnot have a gap with B. Since I did not extract midsurface,I cannot go for Midsurface thickness, right? So I am trying to add thickness for the elements with midmesh thickness option. In this option I tried to create thickness elements with surface as an option in 'Solid geom/mesh', but it is giving an error 'thickness is not calculated on any elements'. If I select Solid it is giving thickness, but I need to do it with surface option. Will that be possible?

Hi

For example you offset ^faces by 0.5 then thickness will be 1.0

You don't need to use midmesh thickness tool.

Just create a property with thickness 1.0 then assign it to the face component

Hi, 

here attached a snapshot. I am trying to add shell thickness by mid mesh method. I have earlier tried with Midsurface thickness, but it is not assigning thickness, may be because I did not generate the surface with Midsurface mesh option(I am not sure if I am correct), rather offsetted the element faces from 3D mesh. 

@tinh: I tried this as well, but could not see the thickness added, even by changing the 2D Geometry style(visualization). 

1.JPG