Enrico

Irregular contact force

Good morning,

I am modeling a rotor composed by three components: shaft, magnet and surrounding fiber.

I would like to evaluate the effect of thermal expansion, simulating the contact between the three components.

I have some difficulties with contacts (the contact force is not constant, as expected). Differences are quite small, but I would like to ask you if there are any errors in my model or if there are any possibilities to obtain better results (I have already tried with s2s option in contact definition and with expertnl param).

Thank you so much for your kindness

Enrico

Hi @Enrico

I see that top shell elements and solid elements overlap. Can you try with MORIENT>> ORIENT in CONTACT card and check if this gives any good result?

Hi Prakash,

thank you for your quik answer

The two components intentionally overlap, because I would like to simulate an initial interference - a sort of preload.

By the way, even if I reduce the shell thickness, in order to avoid initial overlap, and I select MORIEN>NORM the result is not good.

image.png.57e582b1af288b413045ef88d023a54b.png

Thank you for your kindness

Can it be considered as a good result, even if the distribution of the contact force is not regular on the surface?

Do you have any suggestion to obtain better results?

Enrico

Hi @Enrico

I am sorry, I can't comment on results as I am not aware of the use case and details of the simulation. 

It would be better if you check with your Mentor/project guide or professor. 

Thanks anyway

I have another question: 

In the Optistruct guide I found that:

<<MORIENT = Orientation of contact “pushout” force from master surface. Applies only to masters that consist of shell elements or patches of grids. Masters defined on solid elements always push outwards irrespective of this flag. >>

So, why changing MORIENT? (as you can see, I defined the solid element surface as master surface).

Is MORIENT effective also when master surface consist of solid elements?

Hi,

By default, MORIENT does not apply to masters that are defined on solid elements - such masters always push outwards. This can be changed by choosing CONTPRM,CORIENT,ONALL which extends the meaning of MORIENT to all contact surfaces.