Sign in to follow this  
NINAD

Topology Optimisation of Trusses problem

Hi @michaelv

I tried to download the file but looks like the file is corrupted. 

I didn't get a chance to model the same from scratch. I will try to do it ASAP!!

Dear Prakash,

Thanks for your reply, I think something went wrong while uploading the file.

Because the file had no size at all. Here you can find the model. Thanks for the help.

10-bar truss.fem

Regards Michael

Dear Prakash,

Thanks for sharing the file. I have changed the support conditions and lower bounds for the cross sectional area.

Now the solution is close to the solution of the benchmark problem. The difference is probably due to the fact the these results were obtained by another method.

The deviation between the two objective values is 0.4%. I will further investigate your model to check my mistakes.

Now I only have one question: Why do you have  set the boundary condition only at the lower node (Node 6 in the picture), because this cannot ensure stability.

This lower node is only constrained in the X and Y direction (DOF12) and therefore the structure will rotate around the Z-axis. When I run the analysis I do not see anything strange.
Is this true or do I miss something?

Kind regards,
Michael

Hi @michaelv

This how the benchmark problem is formulated.

You can also constrain the other node and this gives a closer result as well. 

Hi @Prakash Pagadala

Allright,Now I have defined the problem by myself in exactly the same manner as in your .fem file.
The strange thing is that the member size are optimized up to the specified lower limit and then the optimization is ended.
This should mean that there is something wrong with my constraints, But I cannot see what is wrong. Could you please have a look on my model.
Because I would like to set-up these kind op problems by myself. Thanks in advance! Here is the .fem file.

10-bar truss benchmark.fem

Regards, Michael