mike0172

Subcases in Hyperview + export options

Hi everyone,

I have a small question about Hyperview. I am running a size optimization of a tube frame. This exercise can be found in the following link:

https://altairuniversity.com/learning-library/size-optimization-tutorial-of-a-tube-frame/

I have incorporated multiple load cases which are also included in my constraints. So the constraints are applied to every loadstep. When I run the analysis and open hyperview, I can only select one subcase. Does this mean that only this load case is included in the optimization or are the other load cases also included in this results? Because I would like to investigate the stresses in the design for the different load cases. Another question that I have is that I would like to export this result. What are the options for exporting this results? I hope that someone can clarify this for me.

Regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you sure you exported the other loadcases to your input deck (.fem file)? If so the results should be visible in the HyperView session file on seperate pages.

What exactly do you want to export? You can use the query panel to export element stresses.  image.png.cecedb9c5966e732949dc1e194a0e030.png

Regards,

niwi

Hi Niwi,

Thanks for your reply. When I perform the optimization according to all the steps, then I am not able to visualize or select the different loadcases in Hyperview. When I just perform a simply analysis without any optimization, then I am able to select the different load cases. But when I perform a size optimization I only see one load case. My question is: are all the load cases  incorporated in the optimization process just as with topology optimization. Or am I doing something wrong?

Printscreen.thumb.jpg.5d7a681f4b86c44f98722e5e436ca9fe.jpg

After the size optimization, I would like to do further analysis in Ansys. I can see the mass and the member sizes in the output file and therefore I can manually load this line model in Ansys and assign a cross section to the different line elements. But I was wondering if there is another method to do this.

I will attach my tutorial files so that you can have a look.

Tutorial_tube_frame.fem

Tutorial_Tube_frame.h3d

Regards,
mike

Hi Mike

Your input deck looks fine and you're using all three subcases.

Your result folder should include one h3d file for each subcase as well (usually ending on s1.h3d, s2.h3d, and so on). You need to load these, if you want to see the stress results for each specific loadcase. Otherwise you can just import the session file (.mvw) which includes results for each subcase each on a seperate page.

image.png.64441aebfcaa072b09b159e890798a3e.png

As for your other question, you can create a file containing the updated property definitions. You need to set the OUTPUT,PROPERTY Card. I'm not familiar with Ansys, so I'm not sure whether that is of any help in your case.

Regards,

niwi

Thanks Niwi,

I am not able to import the session manually, because the button is grayed out. Maybe this is due to the fact I am using the student version of Optistruct. But I can import the results manually by selecting the separate load cases. So therefore I can visualize the results manually. I will try to use the Output, property card in order to check if this option is useful for the post-processing of the results. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Mike