pavlam

Memory issue

I want to simulate a hole array filter but I'm having trouble with memory usage. At first I would get an error saying insufficient memory available so I made the mesh much more coarse but it still took over 24 hours to run the solver. Any suggestions?

3d equilateral hole array.cfx

Hi Pavlam

There seems to be a slow down problem with this specific model.

On my machine it runs 46x faster with FEKO version 2017.2.  (Note I only tested frequency=900 GHz)

Hi Pavlam,

The reason for the runtime issue is still under investigation. It could be worked around by setting up the unit cell differently:

image.png.6172c731c3723a5133030ca21e26ed0a.png

Note that your mesh setting of lambda/5 does reduce the memory requirement, but will most likely not lead to trustworthy results. The unit cell has a size of 1.6 x lambda and thus will demand some memory with a mesh size of lambda/10 (>20 GByte). I see from your *.out file that you have 64 GByte installed, so that should not be a problem.

BUT: Due to the size of the unit cell there are grating lobes for each frequency (Grating Lobes). They prevent an accurate calculation of the transmission / reflection coefficients. A simple workaround here is shown here:

image.png.2ad49e14550b3aeaf371f392a220cc4d.png

Note, P_incident is calculated by 2nd model, with no geometry present, just calculating the power going through NF front.

I will add the files here once the simulation has finished.

The files are now attached. Looking at the results I have to admit that they could look better (Rx+Tx =! 1 here and there). Most likely this can be improved by a larger distance between unit cell and near field requests. I chose 1 lambda at highest frequency, but looking at JIF's link, 10 lambda at lowest frequency probably would have been much wiser.

image.thumb.png.8c56d65983d2c00fc1108476a4f234e9.png

3dequilateralholearray_2018_alt_nf_approach.zip

On 7/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, mel said:

Hi Pavlam

There seems to be a slow down problem with this specific model.

On my machine it runs 46x faster with FEKO version 2017.2.  (Note I only tested frequency=900 GHz)

Yes, 2017 definitely ran it faster. Thank you for the recommendation it helped a lot 

11 hours ago, Torben Voigt said:

Hi Pavlam,

The reason for the runtime issue is still under investigation. It could be worked around by setting up the unit cell differently:

image.png.6172c731c3723a5133030ca21e26ed0a.png

This geometry was much simpler and easier to run. I would have never thought of this. Thank you for taking the time to do all this, I really appreciate it.

Hi Pavlam,

One imoprtant addition: The calculation the Rx / Tx coefficients from the power flow through near field is only well-defined if the size of the near field requests is N * size of unitcell (N is an arbitrary interger value). In your case the size could be dy*dz or dy*2dz,...