Kailey Allan

Failed Optimization (again!)

Hello SolidThinking community,

Could someone please point out what I'm doing wrong, or advise a better way of setting my part up for optimization? My part pivots around a shaft near the top such that, it can swing down to contact a vertical wall. I am unsure how to "fix" the wall in all directions. Currently I am using small displacement constraints set to 10e-6. I have set the contact between the wall and part as "contact", and the contact between the shaft and part as "bonded". The contact along the top surface, where the pressure is applied, is "bonded" with the part. The optimization fails every time.. 

Any help would be great appreciated. Cheers!

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 17.37.20.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 17.31.16.png

Hello,

I don't understand, why do you want to have a contact at the lower wall?

My suggestion is to bound the part to the wall and fix the wall with support in all directions (no displacement constraints).

Best Regards,

Mario

Hi Kailey,

I guess you wanted to constrain the part at the top and the bottom - but right now, there is no support for one rotational degree. What you should do looks like that:

aSfSBXtOeZsQNqz78OQgUAAECazQc2B+0NGjRhkOBuc6NS+HrUwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

You don't have to take care of part movement, exept you expect different loadconditions. If you do, please just rotate the forces instead the part itself (and organize them into different loadcases), but please be aware this isn't needed for most applications:

8AzdPN51b0tR8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=FeYqsT3rz2AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC8ZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Hope this helps!

Felix