virtro

3d meshing a very thin region of a rod

I want to 3d mesh a rod with curved profiles at both ends, but I am not able to mesh the ends of the rods properly leading to element errors which I am not able to solve. Also I want to 2d mesh a cylinder connected to the rod at one end and then link the 3d elements on rod and 2d elements on cylinder. I have attached the model file and also the images of the cross section of rod and cylinder.

Please help me with the same.

rod_and_cylinder.hm

solid rod.PNG

wireframe road and cylinder.PNG

wireframe rod.PNG

Hi virtro

This can be cleared  by refining the mesh near the thin section. Try clearing the tet collapse near the thin section of the rod.

Then extract mid surface of the cylinder to create a 2D mesh and connect the 3D & 2D mesh using rigid elements like RBE2s or RBE3s with a layer of face elements on solid mesh.

You can refer these forum links to connect 3D mesh to 2D mesh

Thank you for the reply Pranav, but I am not able to refine the elements in the thin region. Can you please show me the process?

Also I am not able to properly imprint the 3d mesh on 2d mesh of cylinder as it gives me weird results. Please help me with the same

On 9/28/2018 at 10:55 PM, virtro said:

Thank you for the reply Pranav, but I am not able to refine the elements in the thin region. Can you please show me the process?

Also I am not able to properly imprint the 3d mesh on 2d mesh of cylinder as it gives me weird results. Please help me with the same

Hi virtro

The thin edges have been refined by using a fine mesh along the region. The  surface was split  using Geometry > surface edit > Trim with nodes and re meshed with a smaller element size

Then the mid surface of the cylinder was extracted using Geometry > midsurface > extract, to do a 2D mesh

image.png.4c60bb4ab4bd1a4b7e0c72b0951609fe.png

For connecting 3D mesh to 2D mesh, here i used a Tie contact between the face elements of the rod and cylinder

The model is attached for your reference

rod_and_cylinder_editted.hm