zhoutaozju

Which Propagation Model Does WinProp Use? How to use API?

Hello,

may I ask which propagation model does WinProp use? Is there any corresponding references?

Besides, I'd like to learn how to use API in WinProp . Would you mind to show me more details like links or document? Thanks a lot!

WinProp offers many propagation models. There are empirical models, such as Hata-Okumura, Walfisch-Ikegami. There are several deterministic models, including rigorous 3D ray tracing. There are methods like the two-ray model for multi-path, or knife-edge diffraction over rooftops or mountains. There is a fast multi-wall model, and a proprietary dominant-path model. For many models, comparisons have been made with measurements. I'm attaching something for the Dominant Path Model.

Concerning the API, it is included in the WinProp installation directory. If you are new to WinProp, it may be easier to familiarize yourself with the WinProp interface first.

Indoor Dominant Path Model.pdf

On 10/25/2018 at 11:25 PM, mvogel said:

WinProp offers many propagation models. There are empirical models, such as Hata-Okumura, Walfisch-Ikegami. There are several deterministic models, including rigorous 3D ray tracing. There are methods like the two-ray model for multi-path, or knife-edge diffraction over rooftops or mountains. There is a fast multi-wall model, and a proprietary dominant-path model. For many models, comparisons have been made with measurements. I'm attaching something for the Dominant Path Model.

Concerning the API, it is included in the WinProp installation directory. If you are new to WinProp, it may be easier to familiarize yourself with the WinProp interface first.

Thanks a lot for your kindly reply! Are these models fixed according to scenarios? If not, I'd like to learn about how to choose different models in ProMan. 

Besides, maybe I have to do secondary development with the help of API in winProp. It is claimed that "The sample project can be obtained from AWE Communications" . Unfortunately, I have trouble in obtaining these sample projects. Would you mind to offer the link? Thanks!

Depending on the scenario (indoor, urban or rural), different methods are available in the interface. All methods, with their assumptions and limitations, are explained in the ProMan manual.

The sample project is in the WinProp installation folder, in C:\Program Files\altair\2018\feko\api\winprop. There is a file readme.txt with more info.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:25 PM, mvogel said:

Thanks for your suggestions! May I ask which models will you suggest to use in urban scenes where transmitters are located on the rooftop? Will dominant path model, COST 231 model or knife-edge diffraction model be suitable? Thanks!

The manual explains that the empirical COST 231 model is not a deterministic but a statistical model. It also explains that the results are acceptable for antennas located higher than the mean building height, and that the model has been  accepted by the ITU-R. However, results of the dominant path model (DPM) will be better. Use the empirical model if you want shorter simulation times.