Sign in to follow this  
Abdelrahman Amin

Multilink with integral link (Tesla Model S Rear Suspension)

Hi, 

I want to do a K&C analysis for Tesla Model S Rear Suspension which is a Multilink with an integral link between the knuckle and the lower control arm. I selected the closest topology from Assembly Wizard which is Multilink Suspension with 1 LCA. Now, anyone can provide the steps/procedure to edit this topology and add this integral link ? 

Thanks 

tesla S multilink.jpg

Hi @Abdelrahman Amin

One way is to change the mass, inertia, and CG of the existing and use the same graphics for the KnC analysis

or

You can create your own CAD and replace the existing with the new CAD and realize the joints. You can import using Tools menu>> Import CAR or FE data

Hi @Prakash Pagadala thanks for your reply

The first method: you mean i can work with the same topology in the assembly wizard (Mutlilink with 1 LCA) and just change the mass, inertia and CG to run the analysis ? How about that added integral link that creates an extra relative degree of motion ?

The second method: I already have the CAD for the entire rear suspension .. is there any way to use to run my KnC analysis ? In this case, I just import the CAD and work on it without using the already built-in models in the assembly wizard ? 

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, Abdelrahman Amin said:

The first method: you mean i can work with the same topology in the assembly wizard (Mutlilink with 1 LCA) and just change the mass, inertia and CG to run the analysis ? How about that added integral link that creates an extra relative degree of motion ?

Well, yes this is a compromise. 

In such a case, you can replace the existing with your own CAD. 

To do that follow these steps:

1) Goto Graphics panel and select CADGraphics (image1). You need two graphics (one for left and the other for right) and align the geometry accordingly in the CAD tool.

2) Source the CAD file and update the Body by selecting the existing control arm(Image 2) 

3) Turn off the existing Control arm graphics (right click on the graphics in the project browser and deactivate)

4) Goto Bodies in project browser, select the lower control arm, uncheck symmetric properties and check Get properties from associated Graphic(s)

5) If the CAD is not oriented, you can use the Orient option in the Graphics> Location

graphicss.png

source_body.png

location.png

I am wondering why you are interested in this link.

I have documented many cases in which this link has snapped on Teslas.

The results are not pretty.

You should also take into account the material which is used for Tesla suspension links.

It is extruded aluminium with the the grain structure running laterally.

Discussion here..... https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughMuskSpam/comments/ccmen9/snapped_giblets/

Edited by Keef Wivaneff
Typo