AlessandroC

Composite sandwich panel

Hi to everyone,

I would like to produce a crash between a composite sandwich panel and a fixed cylindrical rigid wall. The first one is made of three different materials defined as LAW25 (COMPSH), plies as Type19 and laminate panel as P17_stack.

Unfortunately something do not work properly. Can anyone help me to understand where I made mistakes?

composite_panel_radioss_0000.rad

result.mvw

2019-01-06.png

Hi AlessandroC

It seems that the Engine output requests have not been defined properly in your model.

Instead of defining initial velocity and constrain at the rigid element, you can directly give it to the master node of the rigid.

Check these Radioss tutorials from online help that is similar to your model and try making changes to your model accordingly.

RDT: 3520

RDT: 3530

image.thumb.png.fa49bff51904f6af456fc77df125e022.png

image.thumb.png.15083c87506471bdc27c9bd642ebf892.png

Thanks

I hope I shared with you all the files. By the way, if you want to calculate them again, remember that they take no more than 1 min each

composite_panel_radioss_0000.rad

composite_panel_radioss_2_0000.rad

composite_panel_radioss_0001.rad

composite_panel_radioss_2_0001.rad

composite_panel_radioss_0000_0001.rst

composite_panel_radioss_2_0000_0001.rst

Hi AlessandroC

I could figure out some errors in your model. Try modifying these parameters are run the simulation.

1. Check whether unit consistency is followed in your model. Check the units for Tstop, Tfreq and other time history files.

2. Material is not defined for your shell component. Assign appropriate material to your component

3. For the component Rigid, the card image assigned is PART. Change it to NONE.

UNIT CONSISTENCY.png

Try these changes and check whether its working

Thanks

8 hours ago, Pranav Hari said:

1. Check whether unit consistency is followed in your model. Check the units for Tstop, Tfreq and other time history files.

2. Material is not defined for your shell component. Assign appropriate material to your component

3. For the component Rigid, the card image assigned is PART. Change it to NONE.

1. kN Kg mm ms is my global unit system. if you look at every single material I specified a local unit system kg/m/s in order to copy-paste faster fabric's properties: thas is very easy to do in hypercrash.

2. I did not defined material for my shell because it is made of two fabrics and a single orthotropic core. All I have to do is define the type17_stack prop, right?

3. if I use hypermesh, RBody is shown as a component, but not if I open it in hypercrash. I followed your advice by removing the card img Part, however solver still has the same issue

2019-01-10 (1).png

2019-01-10.png

I tried to create again the same structure, I supposed there were some problems during mesh phase on the previous file, but it still has problems. anyone else has the same experience?  a specific tutorial for radioss and composites laminates?

22 hours ago, Pranav Hari said:

Hi AlessandroC

Have a look at this exercise on composite modelling with Radioss

Thanks

3.1 CompositeTubeCrush.docx

TubeCrushnew_0000.rad

TubeCrushnew_0001.rad

According to your example, I tried to set up a sort of 3-points-bending test with two fixed rigid wall and another one that has a initial velocity.

I used as much data as I could to define composites: the upper cylinder rigid wall impacts with the sandwich shell, but it bounces back instead of crashing the plate

3pb_composite_0000.rad

3pb_composite_0001.rad

2019-01-18.png