Jump to content
Saravanan R

basic FEA doubt

Recommended Posts

Hello @Rahul Ponginan,

 

I am new to hypermesh. When i was studying theoretically about Finite element analysis, i got to know that the calculations will be made at limited number of nodes and then the result will be interpolated to the entire domain.

 

Can you please tell me that what is "interpolate" in FEA/FEM?

 

I already searched in google and got some theories, but those were unable to understand. Awaiting for your reply.

 

Thanks in an advance.

 

Regards,

 

Saravanan R

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Saravanan R

 

18 minutes ago, Saravanan R said:

calculations will be made at limited number of nodes and then the result will be interpolated to the entire domain.

 

Here limited no: of nodes means finite no of nodes.

 

Any continuous object has infinite degrees of freedom and it is not possible to solve the problem in this format.  The Finite Element Method reduces the degrees of freedom from infinite to finite with the help of discretization or meshing.

 

All of the calculations are made at a limited number of points known as nodes. The entity joining nodes and forming a specific shape such as quadrilateral or triangular is known as an Element. To get the value of a variable (say displacement) anywhere in between the calculation points, an interpolation function (as per the shape of the element) is used

 

26 minutes ago, Saravanan R said:

Can you please tell me that what is "interpolate" in FEA/FEM?

The word "interpolate"  in general means to "insert (an intermediate value or term) into a series by estimating or calculating it from surrounding known values". The same thing is done in FEA also as mentioned above

 

This is clearly mentioned in this e-book. Have a look at this (https://altairuniversity.com/free-ebooks-2/free-ebook-practical-aspects-of-finite-element-simulation-a-study-guide/).

Refer page 21-33 where it describes how the results are Interpolated from a few calculation points 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pranav Hari said:

Hi Saravanan R

 

 

Here limited no: of nodes means finite no of nodes.

 

Any continuous object has infinite degrees of freedom and it is not possible to solve the problem in this format.  The Finite Element Method reduces the degrees of freedom from infinite to finite with the help of discretization or meshing.

 

All of the calculations are made at a limited number of points known as nodes. The entity joining nodes and forming a specific shape such as quadrilateral or triangular is known as an Element. To get the value of a variable (say displacement) anywhere in between the calculation points, an interpolation function (as per the shape of the element) is used

 

The word "interpolate"  in general means to "insert (an intermediate value or term) into a series by estimating or calculating it from surrounding known values". The same thing is done in FEA also as mentioned above

 

This is clearly mentioned in this e-book. Have a look at this (https://altairuniversity.com/free-ebooks-2/free-ebook-practical-aspects-of-finite-element-simulation-a-study-guide/).

Refer page 21-33 where it describes how the results are Interpolated from a few calculation points 

Hello pranav hari,

 

Thanks for your prompt response.

 

Regards,

 

Saravanan R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×