Jack Vincent

Questions, Tips and Tricks for 2019X (New Interface)

Wanted to point out a feature which is existing in HW 2019 but not in HWX yet.

01.PNG.cab9b8f2d92fd772aa542f661e2206a2.PNG02.PNG.91f4ca42ed5165720276b5b0372b0846.PNG

Left image is of HW 2019 & the right one of HWX. In HW 2019, it is easy to change material definitions of similar cards in one go but this feature is missing in HWX currently.

In HW 2019 and older, after extracting mid-surfaces from a solid, the parent solid would turn transparent automatically. In HWX, this is not happening. Still not implemented or perhaps an issue on my end? What would be ideal is to have a transparency slider for each component. After mid-surfacing, the parent solid/surfaces would go to default 50% transparent but the user has option to adjust transparency as desired. 

Few things about HWX.

Would it be possible to add a mouse short cut to access most recently used commands? May be I am not using it correctly, but I feel like I am losing a lot of time having to move the mouse cursor to recently used command on the ribbon bar. If its already there, can it be pointed out? So far, I have not come across this. Need to look in to this in more detail to see if I can assign key board short cuts to HWX specific functions like 2D meshing etc. If that is possible, then the above suggestion of shortcut is desirable but optional I guess. 

I am not sure how the Assembly tree behaved in 2018/2017 & earlier versions, but it would be great if the tree structure could be the same as defined in the CAD. 

This pertains to both HWX & HW. Currently, I feel that reviewing existing defined plate pairs before Midsurfacing is not very intuitive. I have a hard time figuring out which face pairs are paired together. I do think that HW/HWX is trying to display pairs in different colors but it is very hard to make it out. 

I think I've pointed this out before, but please do an option of assigning properties to both elements & components in HWX module as well. As of HWX 2019.1, the only way of assigning properties is by using map thickness option. Becomes tedious to switch between HWX & HW versions just to assign/create property cards.

One more thing (probably applicable to both HWX & HW)...please add an option to make individual components or sub-assemblies transparent. At least in HWX, up on clicking a component, a window pops up below the model tree. In this window, under visualiztion, please add option of transparency and also a slider to adjust the level of it. 

And I am not 100% sure of this, but I do think in HWX, the program some times does not remember recently used settings in various commands. For example, in Midsurfacing command, if I've used previously to place the newly created surface in a sorted component and up on relaunching the same command (if not immediately after a while), the default settings are reverted (i.e. surface being placed in a Midsurface component). 

I like HWX...the geometry clean up is a breeze compared to HW and so is meshing (for most part). And I agree that it will take some time to reach comfortable usage stage. And I will try to do whatever little I can to help it make better :)

9 hours ago, Burner2k said:

Think around 3 years...of course on & off. Why did you ask this?

Yes, you need  a little time to be familiar with it. New features just make it more expensive. Once you become familiar with it, you'll get your own procedure to work and feel that new features are not much important.

15 hours ago, Burner2k said:

I like HWX...the geometry clean up is a breeze compared to HW and so is meshing (for most part). And I agree that it will take some time to reach comfortable usage stage. And I will try to do whatever little I can to help it make better :)

For this moment, I install (real) HW on workstation and HWX on ... playstation :D

One more bug I discovered earlier today. Was assigning elemental properties in HWX through map thickness command and HWX was creating thicknesses for elements in web erroneously. Many of the elements were assigned thickness equal to the width of the flange (as measured from web inside surface). The component in question was a simple C-Channel with many pads along the web & flange. 

The same midsurface with mesh assigned property thicknesses correctly in HW module. 

I am not able to post any comparison pictures of the above but this is not the first time that the above is happening. It happened a couple of days earlier as well.