Hi guys,

I would like to ask you why cannot I apply displacement initial conditions on joints? This happens for all kinds of joints, I can only apply velocity initial condition as shown in the figure below.

Thank you all.

Capture.PNG.8a5bac5fe16749674f99ddea73630082.PNG

In general, it's a better practice to apply your initial conditions to the Bodies, rather than the Joints.  In the real (non virtual) world, F=m * a.  The forces and accelerations act on the mass.  The joints add constraints to the degrees of freedom to the bodies.

Applying an initial displacement to a joint implies that you want an initial translation to occur immediately at time =0, because the joint is not initially in the desired location for the start of the simulation.  Numerically, this can lead to problems achieving a robust solution.

You can also apply a Motion to a Joint as a function of time if you need to move that joint to a particular position.  This is a more reliable way to position the joint, as you are applying an enforced displacement.

Chris  

Hello - To further add to Chris's description, the solver MotionSolve does not support applying displacement initial conditions on the joint. Hence it is not available for editing in MotionView.

regards

Praful

Chris Coker likes this