cfuser

Damping in Nonlinear Transient Analysis

Dear all,

I am currently working on a transient analysis (not modal analysis!) and want to introduce damping to the model. I figured that damping can be added through PARAMs. Using PARAM, ALPHA1 and ALPHA2 will add Rayleigh-damping is that correct? If so, is Rayleigh-damping by itself sufficient when one wants to add damping to a model? Further, there are PARAM, W3, W4 and G that can be used for adding damping. Could I alternatively use these parameters to successfully introduce damping to the model? Or is it necessary to use all the parameters simultaneously (ALPHA1, ALPHA2, G, W3, W4) to achieve sufficient damping?

As always I'd be really grateful for any help!

Cheers,

cfuser

PS: I have looked into the OptiStruct online help and found it a bit confusing. Can someone give me a quick and simple explanation of the parameters involved (ALPHA1, ALPHA2, G, W3, W4)?

Damping

This Nonlinear Transient solution sequence currently only provides support for Rayleigh Damping. The damping parameters can be input using PARAM, ALPHA1 and PARAM, ALPHA2. Subcase-dependent parameters can be input using the Alpha and Beta fields on the TSTEP Bulk Data Entry. 

Use of G, W3, W4 is mainly for linear dynamic analysis.

cfuser likes this