lambefr

Large deformation in rubber sample

I am trying to model a rubber material that has 300%+ elongation capacity.  I don't need to model the rupture mode, just the fact that it can deform elastically and return to its original shape.  I tried with LAW2 and LAW42 but my solid elements (BRICK) just seem to explode when I reach close to 100% elongation.  I tried different ISOLID (1,14,24), but I always get the same result.

Any advices welcome, thanks.  Images of model and .rad, .out below.

image.thumb.png.f86d2194434c898d4df48139cc92edf5.png

image.thumb.png.5568c9dcca546359a6fe43831fea95f3.png

Law2_finer.zip

Hi,

Using LAW42 would be recommended since it is a rubber material.

Using Ismstr = 10 is recommended with hyperelastic material laws.  As HyperMan shows, /PROP/SOLID, Isolid=14 with Ismstr = 10 works. 

Or you can use /PROP/SOLID, IHKT = 2 with Isolid = 24 (HEPH) and Ismstr = 10 which runs a little faster and also works. 

We have this statement in the comments of /PROP/SOLID but I realize it is easy to miss.

For foam or rubber materials such as laws 38, 42, 69, 82 and 88, it is recommended to use IHKT = 2 with Isolid = 24 (HEPH) and Ismstr = 10, 12 (Lagrange type total strain).

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks Hyperman and Andy for the edited model and the pointers to changing the PROP parameters.  I had missed the comments.

Thank you for your help.