brenton_101

Turbulence Intensity Unit Clarification

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Turbulence Intensity parameter that is located under the solver browser in Hypermesh 2019.1 (AcuSolve User Profile).

What are the units of this parameter? Is it represented as a percentage or ratio? (I've attached a screen snippet)

For example in AcuConsole GUI, the turbulence intensity parameter is input as a percentage (e.g 2.5 for 2.5% turbulence intensity).

Best regards

Brenton

Turbulence_intensity.PNG

Hi Ydigit,

The issue is not with the definition of turbulence intensity but that my turbulence intensity parameter may be out by a factor of 100.

In AcuConsole, the parameter is called Percent Turbulence Intensity, so for this I would simply input a value of 5 corresponding to 5 percent.

However in HM Solve Browser, the parameter is called Turbulence Intensity. So should I input a value of 5 or 0.05 to represent 5 percent?? 

Hope this clears up any confusion.

oops, I understood the question incorrectly. 

The default when creating a new inflow is 0.03. 

So it is good to assume that 0.05 would be a good input in your case. Also if you would like to verify this, you can open the .INP file that HM will generate after export in a text editor. 

image.png

Hope this helps.