cgotsch

Using Virtual Windtunnel How to install to use on Windows computer

Good Afternoon,

I am very new to hyperworks and have recently installed the newest Hyperworks 2019X. I have noticed that there is very little documentation for the new UI of Hyperworks. I understand that it is still in development, but this has been problematic for a number of reasons. 

I am trying to use the virtual wind tunnel for speeding up some basic fluid analysis tasks in my workflow. However I seem to be getting an error that says that I can not complete the analysis on a windows computer. The specific error that I get is, "Local runs are not available on this platform".

When I look at the documentation provided with the software, I see that in the analysis step,

"If you are running VWT on a Linux system with a supported GPU, no further configuration steps are necessary. If you are running VWT on a Windows system, you'll need to have a Linux installation of ultraFluidX available for running the solver. To run the solver from Windows:
  1. Click Export.
  2. Copy the .stl and .xml files that are created in the run directory over to Linux.
  3. Launch the solver by executing the ufxRun script, located in the installation directory at .altair/hwx/bin/linux64/ufx/scripts.
    Use the ufxRun -h option to view the help page."

OK so I need a linux computer, which is very difficult to obtain for me. Also I read on some old forum posts that Ubuntu is not a supported linux version for Hyperworks. 

Also when I use the download tool on Altair connect there are no options for a linux install of Virtual Wind Tunnel. 

How am I supposed to use this tool if there is no documentation for how to even get it to run on a standard windows machine, or an install file for a linux machine?