Rod

Modeling Cable Around Several Pipes

I have to analyze the effect of cables circling some pipes. I don't know how to model this cable/pipe contact.

Can anyone give me a guide on how to do this? See the cable line (red) below.

image.png.87fa7631410e8eb9f043bfc81f52248e.png

Hi,

modeling cable/pipe contact is computationally expensive (in particular the implicit method has convergence difficulties with stick-slip frictional phenomenon). Depending on the analysis objectives and assumptions, this system can be simplified as a cable pulley mechanism using:
-Belt-Pulley system in Motionsolve
-Spring TYPE12 in Radioss

Create a Belt-Pulley Subsystem.pdf Spring TYPE12 - Pulley (_PROP_SPR_PUL).pdf

On 1/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, Hyperman said:

Hi,

modeling cable/pipe contact is computationally expensive (in particular the implicit method has convergence difficulties with stick-slip frictional phenomenon). Depending on the analysis objectives and assumptions, this system can be simplified as a cable pulley mechanism using:
-Belt-Pulley system in Motionsolve
-Spring TYPE12 in Radioss

Create a Belt-Pulley Subsystem.pdf 446.55 kB · 0 downloads Spring TYPE12 - Pulley (_PROP_SPR_PUL).pdf 145.66 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks Hyperman. Those looks like the right thing to do but is difficult to follow.

One way I thought was to just calculate the tensions on the wires and apply tangential forces to the pipes where the wires are connected.