Sign in to follow this  
MBIASION

Issues simulation Grain-Oriented materials

Hi all,

I am simulating kind of single-phase transformer with Grain Oriented materials.

I am modeling the iron core with a 'magnetic non conducting region'. Magnetization curves along rolling and transverse direction are characterized up to saturation and their measurements data are smooth enough. They are modeled through an 'anisotropic spline saturation' tool removing the knee in the Rayleigh zone, as suggested in the User Guide.

Performing a transient analysis, the solver is not able to converge during Newton-Raphson computations for medium-high field strength values. On the other hand, when simulating very low and extremely high field strengths, the solver converges with no particular issues.

Can you please help me to figure it out?

Thank you in advance,

MB 

Hi,

I think to have that converges in this case you need to decrease the difference between the realtive permeability and transversal. For example if you take a relative permeability =5000 and the transversal=1, you get a problem of convergences. It is a numerical problem.   

Best regards.  

Hi Abdessamed,

thank you for your kind response.

Of course it is a numerical problem. However, following your advice I cannot accurately simulate my device.

I must simulate it using its magnetization curves: as a consequence, relative permeability is a nonlinear function of magnetic field strength. Moreover the difference in terms of permeability along rolling and transverse direction is not that relevant: less than an order of magnitude.

Best regards,

MB

Here it is.

Please try to simulate it setting the following values for I_PEAK parameter (Parameter I/O):

1) 0.08 - converges;

2) 1 - does not converge;

3) 10 - converges;

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you in advance,

MB