Jerome Teoh

Inductive heating for Composite material

Hi,

I was trying to use my coil to heat up a composite material (properties is in the paper: https://fluxtrol.com/inc/pdf/FL_SAMPE14_Composite%20Welding.pdf )
However, my model is not heated up right and wonder is my magnetic definition for my composite substrate is not right,  solid conductor region and no magnetic conducting region is not working for me, permeability is 1 which I believe the paper said.

Hope that someone can help me to explain why model is not heated up with composite but good with stainless steel,

Jerome.

Hello Jerome,

Unfortunately, this is not enough information to say what is going wrong in your project. There are several different reasons which may explain this behaviour: a wrong material definition, a poor meshing along skin depth (less than two elements along this depth), wrong frequency, etc…

As a matter of fact, induction heating process is very dependent on the magnetic properties of the material to be heated. Therefore, it is perfectly possible to heat properly a steel but not a composite. Please, check material permeability to be sure you are modelling the material correctly. Maybe a parametric study on this parameter can help.

Best regards,