Sign in to follow this  
Flower_974

Eddy current in transformer on Flux2D

Hello,

I designed a 1-phase transformer on Flux2D and did an open circuirt test. However, I don't have exactly the expected results for the current (magnitude and phase) in the  stator winding, which I explain by the fact that there is no eddy current in the iron magnetic core. Yet, I indicated the conductivity and the complex relative permeability for the iron. I gave the frequency at the beginning.

I checked the example available on Flux3D with a 3-phase transformer, but there is no current in the magnetic core.

So, my question is how to get the eddy current in the magnetic core in the post-processing. I already tried to put a stranded concuctor coil in the stator core and in the rotor core with a precised current (obtained with the software FEMM),it improved a bit my results but i am not satisfied with it. I also tried to put a resistor in the core but it didn't improve my results.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

If you want to see the eddy current in the magnetic circuit, you need to use a solid conductor region. To do it when you create the face region, select solid conductor region. Also, you need to put a resistivity in the material.

Best regards.

Hi,

Thanks for answering me.

I had already put the resistivity. I have coil conductor region for both windings and I have added solid conductor coils (short-circuit conductor) for the magnetic cores.

However, the eddy current are higher than expected , especially in the rotor core (the magnitude is doubled) and the phase doesn't match with my results from the software FEMM.

I think I have to change the mesh. So far, I have only used the automatic mesh. But how do we indicate to the software, that we want triangles whose size equals to δ /5 in order to mesh the face and the lines of the magnectic cores. [δ = skin depth]

I have read that with FluxD, it's better to use rectangular meshes when there is skin effect and there is a mapped mesh already created but i don't know if it intervenes in the process.

Best regards.