Sign in to follow this  
rkerner

Chassissim compared to Motion

How does Chassissim compare to Motion for the following:

1.  SLA front suspension model creation (i.e. templates),
  2.  template analyses like K&C, ride and steer
    1. Report templates and plotting - does chassissim have the same or better capability?
    2. Does CHassissim create KPI, roll center height vs. roll center lateral, etc.
    3. How does the math compare for Akerman calculations - Motion used 4 different methods but has no preference.
    4. Is there a theory manual for chassissim?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Rick-

So for the delay, but I was hopeful someone with more ChassisSim exposure with chime in.  I'm not an expert user of Chassissim, but in general terms Chassissim is a very different tool that MotionView/MotionSolve.  It's a reduced degree of freedom model, with a focus on laptime simulaton for race cars.  As such, I don't believe there are specific suspension templates to pick from (or customize).  Things like roll center height are likely going to be inputs, rather than outputs to the simulation.  It's primary purpose if for laptime simulation, and it interfaces very tightly with measured track data.

you can find an intro tutorial to ChassisSim here:

Fun fact:  MotionView has 4 different methods for calculating Ackerman, because three different automotive OEMs have 4(!) different ways of calculating Ackerman between them.  Yes that means one OEM uses two different Ackerman calculations!

Sign in to follow this